Monday, February 13, 2012

A Look at Valentines Past

2003- Our first Valentine's Day as a "couple." I was a freshman in college. I woke up at 5 am, walked to my car in the cage at Tech, stopped at Kroger for some "fresh" prepackaged krispy kreme donuts and woke up Jay for a surprise Valentine's breakfast at his apartment. Seriously- how is that even breakfast??? Later that morning, Jay came to my dorm room during my morning class and hid paper hearts and Valentines all over my side of the room with things he loved about me and the book The Bernstein Bear's Funny Valentine, which will be read to the kids tomorrow :)

Funny story- Jay had been up late the night before cutting up paper hearts for a Valentine surprise for me. His roommate Seth was planning to let me in their apartment that morning and had to do a quick clean up of the craft disaster Jay left all over the living room at 5:30 in the morning. We love you Seth!


2004- I decided to make a red velvet cake for Jay because he loves cake so much. This was before I really knew how to cook or bake. There was red dye all over the kitchen. I had to stop mid way to drive to Kroger to find cake pans to bake the cake. I went to bed that night with dirty mixing bowls and cake pans filling the sink and plans to tackle the mess the next day. Jay drove up to Blacksburg early in the morning to make me breakfast in bed. What a great surprise! Too bad my roommate (Seth's wife Emily) at the time had to clean up all those dishes in the middle of the night so that Jay would have a clean kitchen in the morning and he wouldn't see his surprise.



2005- My roommates all went out that night. Jay decided to buy all the ingredients for a nice dinner at the store and make me dinner in my apartment. He roasted a chicken for the first time. Somehow the chicken juices dripped to the bottom of the oven and smoke was filling the kitchen. We had to open all the windows in the townhouse and try to clear out the smoke before the smoke detector went off. I can't remember what happened to the rest of the dinner....


2006- Our first Valentine's Day as a married couple. I am pretty sure I had to work until 8 that night so Jay fixed dinner. We had chicken helper (I can't believe we ate that stuff!) served on china in candlelight at our apartment. It was very romantic.



We have a had other fun Valentine's Days in the past 6 years, but somehow adding work and kids into the mix we haven't been able to go all out as in the past. And well, we don't have great roommates to clean up our messes either! Thanks Emily and Seth for helping us out with Valentine's surprises!

Happy Valentine's Day to the greatest husband ever! I love you! Even if our days do look more like this these days :)

2 comments:

  1. So sweet! I can't remember Valentines past! :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is the cutest! We are the same. Even without kids it just gets old trying so hard to live up to expectations of this day. I usually make something tasty and we just hangout. Tonight, I have a feeling I will be helping hang a pipe bookshelf in the office though. :-)

    ReplyDelete