Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Lifelong Friends

On a mission trip to Texas in 1998.
They are those friends you share all your "firsts" with.  My first sleepover, my first time at a sleep away camp, my first time driving a friend, my first person to call about a crush or a date.  The girls I spent HOURS on the phone with in high school and my evening was not complete until we all talked about our day and what boy borrowed our pencil.
My brother's wedding in 2001.
We have known each other since kindergarten and were best friends from 6th grade until we graduated high school.  Even though we said we would always be best friends, life happens.  And even though I hadn't seen them in 3 years, seeing them (all but one!) on Saturday night was like coming home to my best friends.

Summer break from college 2005.
One of the girls got married on Saturday evening.  The rest of us were there to cheer her on and wish her well. The wedding was held were she grew up.  As we walked along the grounds and strolled by the house it brought back so many memories.  The sunroom where I would let myself in and say hi to her parents on the way to her room.  The den where we had sleepovers.  The tennis courts where we laid out in the sun one hot spring afternoon.  
Christmas time 2008.
 I can still tell you the names they had picked out for their kids in middle school.  Now that I think about it, I didn't use one of the names I had picked out on my own children!

Carson's wedding 2012.
Some days those high school years seem so long ago, and yet when I close my eyes they seem just like yesterday. 



No comments:

Post a Comment