Monday, July 5, 2010

Molars Shmolars

During the weekend I had a bit of a reminder of life with a newborn. Trey was cutting his first two molars while we were gone on a trip to Richmond which equaled a lot of whining and very little sleep. He has slept through the night since last July with a slight regression during November and December when he cut his front top and bottom teeth. I forgot what it was like to wake up 30 minutes after you fall asleep to a crying child. I had forgotten the intense headache you wake up with after 3-4 hours of interrupted sleep all night. I forgot how long a day lasts when you wake up 5:30 with your child who is up for the day. I guess it was a good reminder of what I need to be prepared for come January. And to all those moms out there with a child under 3 months of age who gets up randomly all night long- you are amazing if you can still carry on a coherent conversation during the day time or take care of your child and I promise someday soon you may forget what that zombie feeling feels like.

Jay had also forgotten what it feels like to wake up in the middle of the night. At 2:07 am on Sunday I heard Trey crying in the baby monitor. I woke up wide awake. Here is the conversation that took place in our bedroom.

Me: Jay, Wake up Trey needs his medicine.

Jay: (lays there not moving at all)

Me: Jay, you need to go downstairs and get Trey's medicine.

Jay: (rolls over and mumbles something incoherent)

Me: (in Jay's face) I need your help. Trey is crying.

Jay: (looks up at me and blinks) What?

Me: I will go get Trey from the crib and I need you to go downstairs and get his medicine.

Jay: Please don't get mad at me I can't figure out what is going on.

Me: repeats request

Jay: (sits up but does not get out of bed).

Me: Go downstairs and get his medicine in the left side of the pantry.

And finally Jay gets up and follows through on the request. I found it quite hilarious he could tell I was getting frustrated before he was fully awake! I probably could have gone and gotten the medicine myself at that point and Trey would not have had to wait any longer that he did. However, we live in an old house in the middle of nowhere and I do not go downstairs by myself at night unless it is an EXTREME emergency.

Now that we are back home Trey has been so happy to see his crib and slept 13 1/2 hours last night to make up for the weekend. Since I had him I had also forgotten how good it feels to wake up at 8 am and have a quiet baby monitor. That happened this morning and I have been happy ever since :)

No comments:

Post a Comment