Saturday, June 22, 2013

The First Day of Summer

The kids and I rang in the first day of summer yesterday with a swim in the creek.  We have had a ton of rain this spring, especially in the last few weeks, which made the creek very high and very muddy.  Jay had warned me about this, but because I had never seen the creek in this state I didn't quite realize what that meant.

 The kids were very excited to go swimming and we put bathing suits on as soon as they got up.


Last year Charlotte would not keep on her hat or wear her floatie without pitching a fit so all morning we talked about how everyone had to wear their hat and floatie to go swimming.  After a lathering of sunscreen, we were set to go.  Once we arrived they kids put on their hats and puddle jumpers.


As I stepped into the water I realized that by muddy it meant that your feet will sink deep into the bottom of the creek and it is a hard to move them around.  The way into the creek is a gentle slope with some large rocks that act as steps.  Trey stepped to the bottom rock and liked playing in the water that way.  He let me help him take a few steps in the creek, but he didn't like that sinking feeling so he was content to stay on the rock.

Charlotte let me hold her in the water for a few minutes, but then she was very happy just to play in the grass with buckets of water.  This made life easier for me because I could watch her while staying next to Trey since he was actually playing with the water.



Hopefully the creek will clear up soon and we can enjoy many more days actually swimming in the water. 

No comments:

Post a Comment