Saturday, May 24, 2014

Selfies, Check-ups, and Vegetables

I have been trying in vain since Esther was born to get a picture with my kiddos.  They aren't always all for taking pictures (especially the oldest) and are reluctant to all smile at the same time.  Enter: selfies.  When I turn the camera on my phone around so they can see themselves on the screen, everyone is all smiles.  Well, everyone except Esther who is usually asleep :)


After school the kids were giving their stuffed animals check-ups. They asked to give Esther a check-up so I put her on the sofa beside me.  Bless her heart she sat there and just let them do their thing.  She didn't even put up a fight when Trey gave her a shot!






At Trey's 5 year old check up last week the doctor asked him what his favorite vegetable was.  His response, "Well, I don't really like vegetables very much."  She told us to put a vegetable on his plate every night at dinner and he had to try a bite of the vegetable before he could get seconds of anything else.  After a week of doing this he has been very reluctant to try the vegetable, unless it is corn or carrots, so instead he just gives up getting seconds of the other food. 

I think he is getting tired of this trick based on our dinner conversation last night.

Trey: Mommy, when you were a kid did you have to try vegetables?
Me: Yes, Nana made me try new vegetables so I would like them.
Trey: Daddy, when you were a kid did you have to try vegetables?
Jay: Well, I tried vegetables a little.
Trey: Oh, so boys don't really eat vegetables.
Me: No, Uncle Mark is a boy and he eats lots of vegetables.
Trey: Well, maybe only the boys in this family don't eat vegetables.

This led to then asking whose family Esther was in and naming every person in our extended family.  So this summer my goal is to introduce the boys in our family to some new vegetables.  Right now Jay's vegetable preferences are carrots, radishes, and ceasar salad.  Trey will eat one bite of a carrot.  So really, eating any other vegetable will be an improvement!

Charlotte will try anything.  Yesterday when I was making a marinade for some grilled chicken I was mincing a clove of garlic.  Charlotte asked what it was and I told her garlic.  She then asked if she could try a bite of the garlic. Ha!

No comments:

Post a Comment